Michell Gyro SE
The classic Michell turntable, continuously refined during many years of development to the current level of performance.
The Michell GyroDec Se is a three-point spring-suspended turntable of medium mass, which is compatible with most quality tone arms in existence.
Based entirely on the GyroDec, but without the costly acrylic plinth and dustcover, the Gyro SE brings the same qualities in a more affordable and compact package.
A Michell Gyro SE can always be converted into a GyroDec by purchasing a plinth and dustcover.
- Low contact area feet: The solid aluminium feet of the turntable are shaped so the area in contact with the supporting surface is very small, this is done to minimise the transfer of vibrations from the supporting furniture into the turntable.
- Three point spring suspension system: Three suspension towers are fixed to the acrylic base to hold the suspension springs in place and provide height adjustment for the sub chassis.
- Weighted pendulum style sub chassis: Hanging on the three suspension springs, this provides a rigid dense platform to mount the main bearing, platter and tonearm assembly, ensuring there is no movement between them, while also acting as a ‘resonance / vibration sink’ drawing away unwanted vibrations from the sensitive elements of the turntable.
- Inverted oil circulating main bearing: Contrary to traditional designs, our main bearing has the point of rotation at the top of the assembly, not at the bottom. This orientation allows us to fully lubricate the inside of the entire bearing while the platter is turning. We achieve this by way of a modified Archimedean screw that we machine into the inside bore of the bearing. The oil is drawn from a reservoir at the base of the main bearing up to the thrust ball at the top, fully lubricating as it goes, it then returns to the reservoir via a waste hole drilled into the bearing spindle. Lubricating the precision parts of the main bearing in this way means that any potential for noise or vibration created by the rotation of the platter is avoided.
- Impedance-matched platter with solid brass weights: The platter material was chosen for its vibration dampening characteristics and because sonically it is a very similar material to vinyl, so it has a very neutral sound characteristic. The brass weights are added to give the platter extra mass and subsequently more momentum when spinning. This greatly improves speed stability and helps keep wow and flutter to a minimum.
- Free standing motor unit: The motor unit used to drive the turntable is completely separate to the turntable, meaning it doesn’t touch the turntable in anyway. The only connection between the motor and the turntable is the drive belt that drives the platter. This stops any noise or vibrations created when the motor is running, getting through to the sensitive parts of the turntable.
Michell Gyro SE
Spider chassis, suspended stable subchassis
Massive acrylic/vinyl platter of high inertia, with gold-plated brass weights
Inverted oil-pumping bearing
Custom arm boards available for most tonearms
High-quality standalone DC motor
Optional clamp £38.50
Optional HR supply £585.00
Optional Orbe-style platter and clamp £625.00 & £125.00
Optional Arms available
Tecnoarm “2” Silver £799.00
Tecnoarm “2” Black £815.00
Finished in silver
Weight 10 kg
Dimensions 49 (w) x 37.5 (d) x 13.5 (h) cms
Priced without tonearm