Vertere Acoustics Sabre
Vertere’s new high-end Sabre Moving Magnet Phono Cartridge delivers an uncompromising musical experience.
Sabre is designed and manufactured to exacting standards.
Upgrading from a budget moving magnet cartridge involves some difficult choices.
The first and probably the most obvious choice is Moving Magnet or Moving Coil.
Moving Coil is traditionally seen as the better choice, but it requires an additional 20db or more gain.
Budget phono stages often struggle to do this well, if at all.
The upgrade involving a new cartridge and a new MC phono stage could be expensive.
MM cartridges have in some ways suffered from the majority having a reputation of being a bit lightweight and scratchy sounding.
Sabre is not such a cartridge as a demonstration will conclude.
Vertere Acoustics Sabre is detailed, dynamic and full-bodied and, most importantly, is highly musical and addictive.
Sabre high-end Moving Magnet
- Aluminium alloybody CNC precision machined from solid
- The body is mass-tuned to the generator for optimum support and control of unwanted mechanical vibrations
- Sabre utilises an Alnico magnet with its suspension individually positioned and aligned for maximum musical performance
- The generator is uniquely fixed to the body via four ‘spike’ screws precisely positioned and torqued for maximum rigidity and performance
- No adhesives used in mounting the generator to the cartridge body 1
- The Micro-Elliptical diamond stylus tip is bonded to an aluminium tube cantilever designed for maximum tracking ability without compromising high-frequency response or increased surface noise
- Threaded body to accept the supplied stainless steel thumbscrews for correct coupling of the cartridge body to the tonearm headshell
- Three specifically designed contact areas machined into the top of the body that provide the exact mechanical coupling required
- Alignment ridge on the front top that assists mounting Sabre to any Vertere tonearm
- Bonded through diamond assembly maximises alignment and rigidity
- Wideband frequency response of below 15Hz to above 25kHz
- Output of 4.0mV will provide a lifelike dynamic range with depth and precision
Unlike the DG-1 record player, the Sabre high-end Moving Magnet Cartridge is not revolutionary – no wheels have been reinvented.
Sabre is a combination of experience, common sense, science and a little art.
It is, of course, hand-built in London into a stunning orange anodised finished, machined-from-solid, aluminium body.
When Vertere launched the DG-1, Touraj said:
“The job of a record player is straightforward and very linear it has to allow the most accurate measurement of something goingpast the stylus and throwing it from side to side over 1000 times every centimetre.”
The situation hasn’t changed, except in this story.
The focus is the cartridge, including the cantilever and diamond stylus, which is the part that’s being thrown about over 1000 times every centimetre of record travel.
The Shiraz introduced in 1987 was the first cartridge that used no adhesives to clamp the generator in place and instead used three ‘spike’ screws to the main body.
Years later, EMT, who supplied the Shiraz generator, asked Touraj if they could use the idea in their cartridge – He said yes, and they do now.
Of course, Sabre’s execution is different to match the new generator and its machined aluminium body, but the idea derives from Touraj’s development back in 1987.
Specifications Vertere Acoustics Sabre
Type Moving Magnet
Output level 4.0 mv
Recommended phono input load 47 kΩ 100 pF – 220 pF
Recommended tracking weight2.0 g (1.9 g – 2.1 g)
Frequency response 15 Hz -25 kHz
Channel separation Better than 22 dB
Cantilever Aluminium Alloy Tube
Stylus Elliptical Diamond 7.5 x 15.5 μm
Mounting Special Tri-Point Contact – With M2.5 Threaded Fixing Holes
Generator FixingSpecial Quad-Point Contact – With M2.5 Stainless ‘Spike’ Screws
Dynamic Compliance 10 x 10-⁶cm/dyne
Coil Impedance 1 kΩ(per Channel)
Weight 10.3 g