Naim NSC 222
Naim NSC 222
Begin your New Classic musical journey with the highly versatile NSC 222 preamplifier.
Access a wide range of music streaming platforms (Spotify, TIDAL, Qobuz, etc.), a very large number of online radio stations, handling bitrates of up to 32bit/284kHz.
Want to enjoy vinyl?
The NSC 222 has a MM phono input.
Do you like headphones and want to dive into a world of solo listening?
Naim NSC 222 is also equipped with the full Naim technology for headphone listening, which is inherited from the Uniti Atom Headphone Edition: their amplifier-DAC, the recipient of several awards all around the world.
A unique streaming platform
NSC 222 incorporates the very latest Naim streaming platform.
Made by their experts in Salisbury, it sets new standards in terms of its prowess, functionality and ease of use.
It is designed to offer true Hi-Fi performance, with the legendary Naim sound.
Play all your favourite radio stations non-stop, as well as any music you choose from Spotify Connect, Apple Music, TIDAL, TIDAL Connect, Qobuz, AirPlay 2, Chromecast, UPnP™ servers, USB key, Roon Ready, and more.
Easy App control – in one room or many
The Naim App – available for Apple and Android devices – makes it simple to control your NSC 222, and even link up other music systems around your home into a stunning multi-room set-up.
Use the App to access all your music, including your favourite radio stations, streaming services and playlists, and explore artist discographies and biographies.
- Statement volume control architecture using reed relays. Premium sound quality of fixed resistor volume control, providing precise channel balance. This miniaturised version of the Statement volume control uses super smooth fly-by-wire optical encoder with precision ball raced bearing.
- Reed relay input switching
- Single ended discrete transistor class A input buffers and filter circuits; using hand soldered polystyrene capacitors.
- Built in high quality MM phono stage
- 5 inch colour display
- Configurable inputs: Input sensitivity pre-set, naming, AV bypass mode and unused input disabling.
- Uses Naim’s latest NP800 streaming card with LVDS balanced digital signals for low noise. Stream internet radio stations, music from Spotify Connect, Apple Music, Tidal (and Tidal Connect), Qobuz, AirPlay 2, Chromecast, UPnP servers, USB attached storage and Roon ready.
- aptX Adaptive Bluetooth
- App control continuity from Mu-so through to Classic range.
- Multi-room capability with other Naim streaming products (right up to Classic range and 500 Series).
- ZigBee RF bi-directional remote control, line of sight not needed, volume changes reflected on the remote.
- Dual optical 3.5mm inter-product communications for synchronised standby and lighting, compatible with the new NAP250 power amplifier.
- Twin fixed frequency (44.1kHz and 48kHz based sample rates) master clocks for ultra low jitter. Runs in clock master mode for streaming services.
- DSP RAM buffer for SP/DIF inputs, eliminates jitter caused by SP/DIF modulation (4x SP/DIF inputs).
- Naim’s proprietary DSP 705.6kHz/768kHz integer oversampling filter.
- PCM1791A DAC (running in external filter mode) followed by discrete transistor class A op-amps and filters. Custom polystyrene ultralow dielectric absorption Post DAC filter components.
- PSU upgrade with NPX 300 via two Burndy cables (one digital and one analogue).
- 5W standby power Using two internal power supplies; one is a high quality audiophile linear type, based on a large toroidal transformer. The other is a highly efficient SMPSU for 0.5W power consumption in standby during standby mode.
- Galvanic isolation of control and audio circuits.
Specifications Naim NSC 222
|Audio inputs||• 1 x moving magnet phono
• 1 x 8-pin DIN (compatible with 5-pin DIN cables)
• 1 x RCA stereo pair
• Line level inputs (RCA/DIN): Impedance 47k, 2.2V typical, 7.5Vrms Max
• 8 pin DIN has +/-18V for compatible external phono stages such as
• Solstice NVC-TT. Compatible with 5 pin DIN
• MM phono: 47k/470pF, 5mV, 23dB overload (75mV max)
|Audio outputs||• Analogue
• 1 x XLR pair (Stereo XLR balanced impedance 7Vrms max)
• 1 x RCA pair (Stereo RCA 7Vrms max)
• 1 x 6.35mm headphone jack (Headphone 1.5W into 16)
|USB||2 x USB Type A socket (front and rear – 1.6A charge)|
|Digital inputs (S/PDIF)||• 2 x Optical TOSLINK (up to 24bit/96kHz)
• 1 x coaxial RCA (up to 24bit/192kHz, DoP 64Fs)
• 1 x coaxial BNC (up to 24bit 192kHz, DoP 64Fs)
|Audio formats||• WAV – up to 32bit/384kHz
• FLAC and AIFF – up to 24bit/384Hz
• ALAC (Apple Lossless) – up to 24bit/384Hz
• MP3 – up to 48kHz, 320kbit (16 bit)
• AAC – up to 48kHz, 320kbit (16 bit)
• OGG and WMA – up to 48kHz (16 bit)
• DSD – 64 and 128Fs
• M4A – up to 48kHz, 320kbit (16 bit)
• Gapless playback supported on all formats
|Analogue gain||• Pre-amplifier at max volume 15.5dB (with max Vol and max volume
limit at 100%)
• Phono stage MM 40dB
|Digital level||2.1V at 0dBFS volume at 0dB|
|Frequency response||• MM: -3dB at 10Hz, RIAA +/-0.1dB
• Line: 3Hz to 40kHz -3dB
• Digital: 3Hz to 27kHz -3dB
|Signal to noise ratio||• MM 80dB ref 5mV A-wtd volume at 0dB
• Line 104dB ref 2.2V A-wtd volume at 0dB
• Digital 102dB ref 0dBFS A-wtd volume at 0dB
|Distortion||• MM: < noise floor
• Line: 0.0025% @2.2V input volume at 0dB, 1kHz
(Line: 0.015% @2.2V input volume at 0dB, 20kHz)
• Digital: 0.0035% @0dBFS volume at 0dB, 1kHz
|Cross talk||• MM: 90dB at 1kHz, volume at 0dB
• Line: 90dB at 1kHz, volume at 0dB
(Line: 70dB at 20kHz, volume at 0dB)
• Digital: 90dB at 1kHz, volume at 0dB
|Control||• App control (iOS and Android), bi-directional ZigBee remote and front panel
• Optical 3.5mm output for synchronised control of compatible
products e.g. NAP 250/350
|Network||Ethernet (10/100Mbps), Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n/ac)|
|Typical use consumption||25W|
|Network standby mode consumption||<2W|
|Standby mode consumption||<0.5W|
|Mains Supply||230V, 50/60Hz|
|Dimensions (HxWxD)||35/8x17x121/2″ (9.15×43.2×31.75cm)|